Slow down the game.... and lower cpu usage

Slow down the game.... and lower cpu usage

Postby tom on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:18 am

Some asked for lower cpu usage or fps limits. There is a easy way to slow down the game to get a lower cpu usage.

Open the prefs.cs (in game/client subdirectory) with a texteditor and change the following variable:

Code: Select all
$pref::timeManagerProcessInterval = "0";

to for example:
Code: Select all
$pref::timeManagerProcessInterval = "10";

As higher the value as slower the game. The maximum you may set is 100 else the game will get unplayable.
Last edited by tom on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tom
Site Admin

Postby Walker on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:51 am

am i right that this is a delay in milliseconds? so that a wanted framerate of 25fps would be a value of 40 etc? (ofcourse i threw the time needed to render the frame under the table... so a value of 40 would mean no more than 25 frames/sec at any time)

i will try this out before my next login
Walker
Gargoyle

Postby RallosZek on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:23 pm

Rach and I just tried this. A setting of 30 makes the game still very playable, it's a little less smooth for Rach, but not disturbing. Over time she will probably not notice it not being smooth.
But the good news is, it took a whole 7C off the CPU temperature. Seeing as she used to get shutdowns from CPU overheating, this is quite a bit and makes a lot of difference (we log the cpu temperature each minute, the difference was immediately visible).
So highly recommended for people who get blue screens, cpu overheating shutdowns or CPU throttling.
RallosZek
Fire Imp

Postby tom on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:02 pm

sorry some days ago i did read it but didnt post so far ;)

did you also trry "-dsleep" ?

PS: maybe some day i'll take the time to make a native bsd version :twisted:
tom
Site Admin

Postby dey on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:26 pm

Tom, it would be really helpful if we could limit number of FPS to a certain number. IMHO it is a very important feature.
dey
Renegade

Postby RallosZek on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm

dey wrote:Tom, it would be really helpful if we could limit number of FPS to a certain number. IMHO it is a very important feature.

This is FPS limit, except the numbers represent the interval, rather then the frequency.

@tom: native bsd appreciated of course. And no, didn't try -dsleep and -h doesn't list options ;) Got an option list somewhere?
RallosZek
Fire Imp

Postby dey on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:19 pm

A more clear explanation of this feature would be helpful - ie. what interval? What is the unit there? Percents? Milliseconds? I am stupid and in need of a concise explanation of the setting... :)
dey
Renegade

Postby tom on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:58 pm

Obsolte since it is in options (misc)
tom
Site Admin

Return to Tips and Tricks