A Warrior in the Night

Write and Read Stories from and about Auteria(ns)

A Warrior in the Night

Postby shadows on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:48 pm

It is another beautiful, cold night. The kind that makes you stop doing everything to just appreciate the small things. The kind that makes you close your eyes and focus on your breath, thankful for being alive. I have been on the hunt all night long; my bag is full of goods that I'm going to use to craft artifacts and improve my armor and weapons. But I am so tired right now... I take off my helmet and observe my accelerated breathing coming out as white as the snow surrounding me. I sit down to rest for a moment and look around me.

Intricate patterns of ice float weightlessly downward from the black sky above, each flake swirling and dancing, as an icy wind carries it toward a group of intrepid warriors, all of them in the pursuit of the same goal. I know these warriors, and even though I am not as brave or powerful as them, I've fought by their side several times. They're mighty, smart and calculating, they attack even the strongest of creatures, and they succeed every time.

I observe these warriors running in the night prepared for battle until they fade away in distance. The wind howls, stronger now, piling up snow in drifts, almost blinding me with ice-white dust.

It's dark and the snow is still falling, clumps of wet flakes drifting down, the air moist, the path mushy under my foot. I will be on my way back to the comfort of the lodging soon, but I want to stay here in the open just a few more minutes, my eyes locked in the garish fire that keeps me warm through the night.

It is very quiet now, except for the crackling of the fire, sounding like natural music. The flames that lick the wood and the red sparks both dance in the cool breeze. I feel more relaxed with my face warm and my back free from tension despite being still cold. It feels like the fire is charming my worries away, sending them heaven bound along with the dark smoke.

The great orange moon is high in the sky giving off the only light, apart from the lampposts whose rays die inches from the dirty tungsten bulbs.

I have a great life here, and I shall not leave this place. For I am a warrior, and I have a purpose, a mission, and this is the place for me. I can hear the other warriors, my friends, their voices echoing through the night, a bit louder than a whisper. I give a deep breath and close my eyes one last time, preparing to run all the way back to the lodging.

It's time to resume with the hunting, exciting and dangerous things are awaiting me behind the hills of snow, and I'm going for them. I wield my sword and put my helmet back on. It is calling me, and I'm not waiting a second more to answer it.
shadows
Little Beast

Re: A Warrior in the Night

Postby Khya on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:18 am

awesome awesome awesome
Khya
Antelope

Re: A Warrior in the Night

Postby shadows on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:47 am

Thank you thank you thank you Khya :D :D :D

So happy you liked it :)
shadows